Pests are never welcome visitors in your home. Depending on what type of pests you are dealing with, they can destroy wooden structures, chew electrical wiring and spread diseases such as salmonella. You need to do all that you can to prevent a pest problem from happening in the first place and to deal with any pest issues that do occur as quickly and effectively as possible.
One of the best ways to deal with pests is to hire exterminators to get rid of them for you. The professionals can also carry out inspections of your home on a regular basis, to try and prevent infestations from happening. However, some people worry about the safety of professional pest control. The good news is that the experts know how to keep you and your family safe during the extermination process. There are also some other factors that you can consider in order to deal with pests safely.
Prevent pests from entering your home and make it less attractive to them
One of the safest ways to deal with pest problems is to try and stop them from getting into your home in the first place and to make it a less attractive place to be.
- Check there is no damage to the outside walls of your home which would make access easy. This includes even tiny cracks.
- Make sure your home is clean and that there is no food debris on kitchen counter tops or in cupboards.
- Deal with areas of damp and leaks as soon as you can so that pests are not attracted by the moisture.
Make sure your outside space is not attractive to pests
It’s not just the interior of your home that you need to pay attention to, if you want to deter pests.
- Make sure trees are not located close to your home as pests can climb along branches to get access to your roof space.
- Clear up debris such as piles of leaves as they can create the type of warm and damp hiding place that pests love.
- Do not store wood on the ground as it’s attractive to pests such as termites.
Try some DIY pest control methods
If you want to try and get rid of pests yourself, there are several DIY methods you can try. However, you are not guaranteed to be successful and you need to call in the professionals if the problems persist.
- Use soapy water in a spray bottle to kill insects such as ants.
- Make use of nematodes (microscopic worms) to kill termites.
- Spread Diatomaceous Earth where insects are present. It damages their exoskeletons and causes them to die.
Speak to the professionals about safe pest control
Professional pest control is not dangerous. The experts know which products to use and how to use them safely. You can request that reduced amounts of chemicals are used but this may mean that more treatments are necessary in the long term. Speak to the professionals you hire about any concerns that you have.
Take recommended precautions when pest control work is carried out
Quite often you will be able to remain in your home while pest control work is being carried out. However, certain members of your household may be more susceptible to the products that are being used and you may be advised that they should remain outside the property. The experts carrying out the work will advise you of any precautions you need to take.
It’s important to remember that getting rid of pests is a lot safer than leaving them to cause potentially dangerous damage and spread diseases.